Tuesday, August 9, 2011

8-9-2011 - Auglaize River

Since we had some rain roll through the area yesterday evening and early this morning, I thought I would try my luck down at the old hydroelectric dam on the Auglaize River. Compared to the last time I was there, the water was quite a bit higher. Surprisingly, the rising waters had no impact on visibility. The river still maintained pretty decent clarity.

I tied on a rust brown Mud Bug and threw a couple of short warm-up casts. On the third cast I caught a nice freshwater drum. I managed to catch a few more drum until I noticed something. Off to my right, there were freshwater drum everywhere! They were hanging around the moving water and chasing the minnows around. I started casting there and I ended up catching over 50 freshwater drum in about 3 hours. I would have only caught 20 but I was trying to entice a couple 6-7 pound carp into biting. Unfortunately, the drum kept eating the fly before the carp could even notice it. With that being said, I still had a fun morning and those freshwater drum sure put a nice bend in my 6wt. Until next time, tight lines!

First catch!


Picture proof that the Mud Bug works great!





This is where most of the drum were congregated. 














3 comments:

  1. Pretty cool Jeremy. I've never got one on a fly rod, but the 10 pounders on spinning gear make me think an 8 weight wouldn't be unreasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An 8 definitely wouldn't be unreasonable. I usually use my 8 weight, but my shoulder has been acting up and my 8 weight is pretty heavy and it gets to be kind of un-fun after a few hours. There's some large fish in there and whenever I catch one, I'm always wishing I had my 8!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man thats awesome! I love drum, especially just the look of them...so distinguished. Most of ours in my neck of the woods fight like a wet sock even on a 3wt, but still fun. Ill be looking more at that Mud Bug!!

    ReplyDelete